Monday, June 30, 2008


Look! A different colored black-eyed susan! (You are very excited, aren't you?) That variety is "Cherokee Sunset."

See the solid yellow flowers off to the right? Coreopsis. Goldfinches LOVE them.

Apparently so do bunnies.

There was a tiny bunny in the garden tonight and his cuteness was almost completely cancelled out by the speed at which he could eat coreopsis, stems and all. It actually made me a little ill because we have so many bunnies this year and I thought we'd worked out an arrangement of peaceful co-existence in which I wouldn't notice that they were flattening huge areas of the garden with all night parties and in exchange, they would not eat the flowers (only flatten them.)

This could be trouble.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

hmmm - a few weeks ago I had 2 cute little bunnies eating breakfast in the back yard and now I have lots of small bushy plants that are mysteriously shrinking instead of growing.... and I was blaming it all on the deer! Suggestions from the master gardener? Between these guys and the monster slugs I may need to start gardening in a bubble (surrounded by black-eyed susans, of course!)

Kim said...

As a Master Gardener (caps are important), with extensive experience observing the painful sight of animal-induced bush shrinkage, I can only suggest you never go in that section of your yard again. Ever.

Sarah said...

great - now I'll have to move to a new house. I can see the bushes shrinking from every window of my current home :-(