Sunday, December 7, 2008

Clean-up on Aisle Five


I'll get to the cleaning part in a minute, but first, because it is apparently narcissism week (see the last few entries if you aren't a regular reader), I'm going to share with you a "special" moment from this afternoon. We were skiing and I was using my new skis (the type with the fat tips that should really be called "cheaters" because they are so easy to ski in) and at the place we go to, all the trails end in front of a big bank of lodge windows. Some of us think of those people inside, looking out, not as "strangers" but "audience." So after a particularly sweet sweeping descent with a nice spray of snow settling around me, I noticed a teenage girl looking at me with scorn and clearly thinking, "Stop showing off, b___h." Naturally, I swelled with pride and wanted to give her a hug. I'm sure she would have loved that.

Narcissism week came to an end tonight--and this is by sheer coincidence--at the exact same moment that I dropped a full jar of tomato soup on the floor in the kitchen (versus dropping it outside where it really wouldn't have mattered and narcissism week probably would have continued.) That stuff can really fly! That's one of those cleanup jobs you know you'll never really complete. The only solution is to relocate to a new home and a kitchen free of soup in surprising places.

See you next week, when I'll be practicing "humble."

1 comment:

Karen Meyers said...

Well at least they didn't have to clean you up off the ski slopes.