Tuesday, November 4, 2008

NOT the leaf pile


Last week, I made Zack a massive leaf pile to jump in. Really massive, like six feet wide and four feet high. After the first day of jumping off a ladder onto the pile, (which gave ER workers in the area a nice warm and fuzzy feeling), everyday he would get busy doing something else instead of jumping into it, but wouldn't let me move the leaves off the grass.

EVERY DAY I told him the pile was going to kill the grass under it. But he wouldn't want it moved. Local children came over to gaze at it but no one would jump in it. It seems they were put off by the steam rising from it as the leaves decomposed. Wimps. (And at this point, I was pretty sure I could hear the grass gasping for air.)

Anyway, yesterday, I moved the pile off the grass and under a tree, so the grass could breath. Weakly. And he could jump from the tree onto the leaves; because I have only made two tax-deductible donations to the local ER this year and they called and asked if maybe I could make another.

Moving that pile of damp leaves was a lot of fun - the kind of fun that makes you want to throw up afterwards.

And, yes, the grass is a gorgeous shade of brown with green tinges, which reminds me of this:

I would like to cast my vote in favor of Kashi's new U cereal - which turns your (rice) milk a purple pink, making it a totally worthwhile purchase, whether you like how it tastes or not. (I love it, but from looking around on the internet I seem to be in the minority, so I'm not going to suggest you run out and buy it, the way I would if Bobbi's suddenly started delivering hummus to a store near you.) (Yes, regular readers, that's right, I managed to bring Bobbi's up again. You're welcome.)

3 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

Thanks for a good laugh! Kashi products...certain ones I love, others taste like sawdust, you just never know.

Karen Meyers said...

What are you doing outside? Get back in there next to your sewing machine! You can look at beautiful fall colors on all the Etsy listings.

Sarah said...

Too funny. I can hardly wait for that "throwing up feeling" - I'm sure it will come after I spend a vacation day on Friday picking up the leaves from my forrest of big leaf maples. Maybe Zack will write me a song... oh, that throwing up feeling, now its gone, gone, gone... take it from here, Zack!