Tuesday, November 25, 2008


Working on Thanksgiving? You should be. But first, read this.

Have you seen seaweed salad at your health food store? By "seen" I mean glanced at and then looked away as fast as you could, while chanting to yourself, "short term memory, short term memory...." It defies description, (blackish green goo). I felt my stomach clench when I saw it (and I'll eat anything). So, because "gross looking" and "gross tasting" so often goes hand in hand with "gross tasting but healthy," and because I care about you all so deeply and don't want you to have to test for yourselves the grossness factor, I'll do the dirty work for you. I will eat some. (This particular treat is distributed by One Stop Natural. No brand name is displayed on the package. I don't think anyone wanted to take "credit" for it.)

One moment please, (stomach clenched)...

The verdict: Because it has a lot of sesame oil I thought it tasted good for a second then I changed my mind. While it was still in my mouth.

I made myself swallow. Because I'm an adult.

I'm going to eat some more to see if it gets better.

(couple minutes later)
Wow!

That is REALLY bad!

You are SO WELCOME! Don't buy it. I'm sure there are some excellent seaweed salads out there but right now I'm going to defame them all. Have a lovely holiday!

*******
Ummm, bad news, it's been two hours and I feel REALLY healthy now. It's either the seaweed or the continuous loop of Beyonce's "Single Ladies" (which is FINALLY available on itunes without the video: no more hitting "replay" on Youtube every three minutes, just continuous dancing (and, yeah, Sarah, I got NO work done on that bag - Beyonce is impossible to resist.)) So eat up. Seaweed salad it is.

3 comments:

Karen Faulkner said...

Won't be buying it. I had something with seaweed once, don't remember what kind of entree it was and I don't care to--I know it is supposed to be very healthy, but UGH!!! There is an aftertaste that makes you feel like you just got knocked over by a wave.

Sarah said...

I have this black sludge from the bottom of my composting leaf pile. It's probably very good for you. Want me to send you a taste?

Is this the insanity that takes over once you stop eating sugar? Hmm, where did I hide those cookies???

Kim said...

Remember, Sarah, we already covered the difference between hummus we eat (yummy) and humus from the garden (yucky) in a blog post earlier this year. (Someone needs to brush up on their post memorization skills.) But gee, yeah I guess I'd eat humus from the garden - the real stuff - not the sludge. That you can keep.