Monday, April 20, 2009


Happy Monday.

If you spot "Green Cooking" by Kate Heyhoe at your local library, flip especially to page 72 where she lists passive cooking instructions for common foods. Other than boiling eggs and then letting them sit with the water off to cook them, I'd never tried it before and now I'm totally sold. (Even though I'm trying to go vegan, two family members aren't so I experimented by passively cooking a whole chicken - cover with water plus half an inch, bring to a boil, simmer 15 minutes, then let sit with the cover on for an hour - it cooked more evenly than roasting. AND as a bonus I didn't give anyone food poisoning!)

If you have ever thought about going vegan, read this book - you'll love it. It's guaranteed to ruin meat, eggs, and dairy for you forever, but in the most pleasurable read possible. I was sad when I finished the last chapter and realized the rest of the book was 80 pages of documenting notes.

(pg. 72 in Kate's book also lists instructions for vegetables. Which is what you'll want if you read both books. Believe me.)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

looking forward to your Monday post!

Kate Heyhoe said...

As the author of Cooking Green, your unbiased review thrilled me. You get it! Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm with your readers. By doing so, you're helping to shrink our cookprints. I'm very grateful, and keep up your very thoughtful blogs. - Kate Heyhoe