Sunday, February 24, 2008

Root Beer and Styrofoam, neither of which have anything to do with sewing



I put out so much stuff for recycling this week that those sweet men didn't take all of it, which I thought was an interesting choice. I saw some was still there when I left for the grocery store, where, because I was very hungry I accepted a sample of bologna (Boar's Head--actually amazingly good and I only wondered for a short time what I'd actually eaten). But then after, when I went to to the health food store (which I like to pretend is my primary food store, because I lie to myself regularly), I was pretty sure they could sense the bologna and the fact that I'd just been to the grocery store, which is right next to them, and which they think is the devil's playground. I have to agree with them on that but I still shop there (because people in my family like Devil Dogs and I don't think those are going to show up at the health store in this lifetime). As for the grocery store I just defamed, maybe you have the same one in your town, it's name sounds like "hop & top."

I was able to forget about the bologna when I saw this root beer. If you grew up in Maine and don't live there anymore, you probably also have a soft spot for any Maine products (although after going to their website I'm not so sure this was actually made in Maine. We'll leave that level of investigative reporting for someone else's blog.) It is organic and has a cool label so I was going to buy it even though I avoid sugar like the plague, until I saw the price of $1.99 per BOTTLE! My health food store, and probably yours as well, seems to think that high prices make their products more virtuous. Sometimes I fall for this. But not for root beer. So, if you look on the third shelf on the left aisle (there are only two aisles), it's still available if you want it for yourself.

Anyway, when I came back home the recycling had blown onto my neighbor's yard, which I'm pretty sure they use a vacuum on, so all those little pieces of styrofoam showed up really well and didn't look so cool. However, that same antiseptic lawn is decorated with two tasteful pink flamingos which drive me crazy so I thought the styrofoam evened things out between us.

I did pick up the styrofoam. Otherwise it might have blown all the way to your yard by now, and I think we all know that doesn't build great customer relations.

2 comments:

brandianndesigns said...

hahaha! i hate those little styrofoam thingeys! although if something like that habppened in my yard i'd leave it. :) the house next to us is being built. it's been 'being built' since WAY before we moved in last August! all around us are just wooded lots, so, no one would notice. i'm terrible aren't i?

can't wait to see the bag you're working on!

anyways, you have been tagged by me.

here are the rules:
1. Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Karen Meyers said...

I also lie to myself regularly about my family's eating habits until last week when my son who had a friend over playing introduced our pantry to her as "junkfood heaven"