Want to look like a hero in the eyes of your family? Bake these embarrassingly easy brownies. The recipe below used to be on the back of the Hershey's chocolate chip bag but I haven't seen it in a while so I'm posting it here for you. You can send thank yous in the form of brownies. I'm OK with that.
But first, if anyone has the REAL original Chex Mix recipe let me know. The one they've suddenly decided to call their Classic version is made in the microwave - (horrors - protein in the microwave!). I tried to use the recipe and still put it in the oven but something is missing; I don't want to eat the entire batch the minute it arrives burning hot of the oven the way I used to.
Double Chocolate Brownie Bars
1/2cup (1 stick) butter (don't use margarine even though they say it is an option)
2 cups HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, divided
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional, I never do)
Heat oven to 350 F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Place butter and 1 cup chocolate chips in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 to 1-1/2 minutes until chips are melted when stirred. (Oh, will you look at that - what a hypocrite I am, suddenly if chocolate is involved, I have no problem microwaving protein.) Add sugar, flour, vanilla, baking powder, salt and eggs; stir with spoon until smooth (That was really fun and beautiful, huh?) Stir in remaining 1 cup chips. Spread batter into prepared pan; sprinkle walnuts over top (or not). Bake 30 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. (Not likely!) Cut into bars. Store tightly covered. 36 bars. (Also not likely.)
I like to take them out of the oven a minute or two early. That way they are very soft the first day, but they "age" really well. They actually get better the second and third day stored on your counter in an (environmental sound (ha, ha)) plastic bag.
By the way, yesterday six big boxes arrived. Do you think any of them contained soup? No. Baseball equipment. Lovely. But really, it's probably best that the soup hasn't come because--thanks to the big batch of Carrot Ginger soup I made and gulped down in anticipation of the Au Bon Pain delivery--when I was at the dentist on Thursday the hygienist commented on what a nice tan I had. I haven't been out of the house in weeks. That's no tan. That's beta caroteen.
5 comments:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
brownies
Update: My Mom sent the Chex Mix recipe. Thanks Mom!
ok, i'll post it here anyways:
CHEX PARTY MIX
6 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. seasoned salt
4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 c. Corn Chex cereal
2 c. Rice Chex cereal
2 c. Wheat Chex cereal
1 1/2 c. mixed nuts
Melt butter in shallow pan over low heat. Stir in seasoned salt and Worcestershire sauce. Add Chex and nuts. Mix until all pieces are coated. Heat at 250 degrees for 45 minutes. Stir every 15 minutes. Spread on absorbent paper to cool. Makes 7 1/2 cups.
You know, I think there are twenty or so "original" Chex Mix recipes. I still can't find the one I used last year that calls for about a cup of salt - so delicious.
yum, a cup of salt...
how to make these brownies even better (is it possible?)
when we make brownies from the box in our house (gasp) we regularly add extra stuff
chopped up gourmet chocolate bars, dried cherries, coconut...you name it we've added it
i added 70% dark chocolate to these..we'll see tonight how they are :)
thanks for the recipe kim!
Post a Comment